Friday, 25 October 2013

If it's vegan it's considered healthy, Right!? Fresh (@ the Annex) Review

  Midterm season is finally over.  Instead adopting the typical university exam diet - consisting of muffins, ramen, and energy drinks (none of which sound appealing to me) - I chose to eat healthier than ever in hopes that by feeling good, I'd perform well.  Once the midterm season was over, I decided to celebrate with my friend over dinner at Fresh by Juice for Life on Bloor and Spadina.  The location is perfect; literally a 2 minute walk from the subway.  Inside, Fresh was a little cramped for the amount of people they fit in.  Nonetheless, we were seated within minutes and dug in.  


  Here's what we had: 


Quinoa Onion Rings with vegan BBQ sauce, 6$  OK.  These were delicious; the best onion rings I've ever had, hands down.  The quinoa crust was so crispy, hot and flavourful, and the onion inside was soft yet still maintained its form.  To be honest, the onion rings were so tasty on their own that they barely even needed the barbecue sauce.  My only complaint is that 5 onion rings was too little of a portion. 



Chipotle Bacon Burger & Sweet Potato fries with Vegan Garlic Mayo Dip, 11$ + 4.5$ for fries.  This was my first time trying a Vegan burger, and I loved it!  It took me a few bites to get used to it, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the rich, earthy flavour of the burger.  The bun was delicious, very fresh and flavourful.  The freshness of the lettuce and tomatoes was also a perfect, simple addition alongside the patty.  The fries were great too, nothing exceptional but satisfied my craving.  The vegan garlic mayo.... Oh my.  So good!  It was so light and the garlic flavour was very tasty.  Finally, the kale and apply slaw, I believe, was alright.  Nothing too special but once again, it tasted fresh and light; a nice accompaniment to the dish.  Overall, delicious and very, very filling!  I would order it again in a heartbeat. 




Carrot Cake, 7$  I truly cannot believe this is all vegan!  I wouldn't even be able to guess!  My friend described this as "October in a dish", and its exactly that.  Brimming with a  deep, rich cinnamon flavour that just reminded me of autumn.  The icing, too, was so creamy and tangy.  Amazing.  

  All in all, I truly enjoyed Fresh.  There was something very wholesome and real about the food.  Don't get me wrong, while it is all vegan, I don't believe Fresh is all healthy.  It satisfies any craving perfectly without still being a healthier alternative.  I'm definitely returning!  



Fresh By Juice For Life on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment