Saturday, 16 November 2013

The House on Parliament Review

  It's safe to say I'm obsessed with burgers and sweet potato fries.  They're just SO good, I could probably have them every day of my life if my body would permit me.  Anyways, for mine and my best friend's monthly foodie date, we decided to venture out to Parliament Street and try out The House on Parliament.  This area of town was very foreign to the both of us, but finding the restaurant was fairly easy.  The atmosphere was very warm and reminded me of some sort of 19th century home.  Another aspect I loved was the fact that it was family owned!  In fact, it was the owner's little girl that seated us and gave us water; so cute!   (I apologize in advance for the shoddy picture quality!   I forgot my phone AND camera that day.)  




  Moving on to what we tried: 


Samosas, 8$  In attempt to be so-called "adventurous", we ordered the samosas which were packed with a variety of spiced veggies, and served alongside a mango chutney and tamarind sauce.  These were DELICIOUS.  Probably the best samosas I've had to date.  The inside was absolutely delicious and subtly spicy.  While my pet peeve is when dishes are just packed with a ton of spice that adds nothing to the flavour, the spice in these samosas did the exact opposite; they provided a lovely flavour and aroma to the appetizer.  The mango chutney was also delicious!  I love savoury applications of mango, and this one was no different.  Finally, the tamarind sauce was absolutely amazing.  It tasted like a medley of barbecue sauce, curry and tamarind.  It provided more of a kick then the samosas and mango chutney, which balanced the dish out perfectly.  


Parliament House Burger (with an assortment of personally chosen toppings) on the top, and the Kobe Burger special on the bottom, 21$.  I chose the Kobe burger which was served with prosciutto, brie, and grilled pear.  Firstly, the bun itself was very fresh and was paired perfectly with the burger and toppings.  The burger was cooked just how I liked it, medium rare; nice and pink inside.  You could definitely tell the meat was real and unprocessed, which is what I look for in a good burger.  The toppings honestly sound more adventurous then they were.  While the burger was good, I wouldn't say it was anything mind-blowing.  The sweet potato fries, on the other hand, were to die for!  Probably were the second best I've ever had, only behind the Joey's ones which will forever be my favourite!  The garlic mayo was a perfect accompaniment as well; I only wish there was a tad more of it.  


Deconstructed Pecan Pie with Shortbread cookies (on the left) and Chocolate Peanut Butter pie (on the right), 7$ each.  AS USUAL, I can never pass up dessert; no matter how full I am, I always have room for dessert.  These two were fantastic!  The pecan pie was delicious and unlike any I've ever had!  On the bottom, there was a delicious medley of carmel and pecans which had a runny (not thick) consistency.  On top, there was a simple vanilla ice cream alongside two shortbread cookies.  Together, the three components tasted absolutely delectable.  We were both in awe.  As for the pie, it tasted like a reese's peanut butter cup!  It was so smooth and creamy; your fork just slid through it.  The presentation was also lovely! 

  All in all, would I return?  Would I recommend it?  Abso-fucking-lutely.  Good atmosphere + friendly stuff + delicious food = a stellar recommendation in my books.  Definitely worth the mission! 


  


The House on Parliament on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment