Friday, 11 April 2014

Lee Review

  In my opinion, the best way to celebrate the end of exams is a nice meal out... especially after that killer Accounting exam this morning.  Anyways, Lee, owned by the renowned Susur Lee, is located at King West and has been on my wish list for a while.  They have a "sharing style" menu - much like Origin North, for example - and specialize in Asian fusion food.  




  To begin with, while I loved the decor and ambiance of Lee's, it was very, very cramped.  For instance, I was literally half a metre away from the table next to us and could eavesdrop on their conversation perfectly.  Lee's is also extremely busy; thus, I definitely recommend getting a reservation.  


Singaporean Slaw, $20  Yes, this is the slaw.  Susur's famous slaw.  Waiting for ours to get here, I witnessed 9 slaws coming out of the kitchen - simply everybody was having it!  Needless to say,  it earned it's reputation in my books.  There was 19 ingredients in this baby, including cucumbers, tomatoes, crispy noodles, edible flowers, nuts, and so forth.  There was the perfect amount of dressing, which was slightly sweet, fruity and paired perfectly with the salad.  The portion was huge and very filling!  Although my friend and I shared it, if I had eaten it on my own it would have sufficed for dinner even with no added protein.  It was simply delectable and easily one of the best salads I've ever tried!  A definite recommendation and my favourite of the night. 


Spice Crusted Diver Scallop, $26  These scallops were made with Susur Lee's "secret spice blend", topped with crispy bacon, and paired with fresh grapefruit and a squash puree.  The waiter recommended that all 4 components be eaten together.  However, while I found the scallops cooked perfectly and extremely tasty with the bacon and squash, I hated the combination of the grapefruit alongside the other components.  In my opinion, the bitterness just added nothing to the already delicious bite.  Overall, solid dish I enjoyed, but perhaps not something I would pay twenty-four dollars for.   


Peking & Char Sui Duck, $39  This dish had many little components, including duck, duck confit, soft wonton, foie gras, mango ginger spread, crispy wonton, etc.  It was my first time not only trying duck, but having foie gras... and to be honest, I didn't think much of it.  The duck was tasty and will definitely be having more in the future; the foie gras, on the other hand, was horrid in my opinion and had a horrible after-taste.  The waitress recommended the "crepe" to be eaten as such: spread with foie gras, topped with duck, topped with some soy sauce dip, a mixture of condiments, and topped with a crisp wonton.  I tried her recommendation and found it decent.  After omitting the foie gras, I it became better, but overall the whole dish just had an odd taste to it... I can't quite describe it.  This was my least favourite dish.  

  All in all, Lee was an amazing experience and a fantastic restaurant.  Although I definitely enjoyed it, not every dish was stellar.  My recommendations would be the slaw, which is pretty much life-changing, and also the tacos if they happen to be on the menu.  


Lee on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment